Friday, February 18, 2005

Friday Update

Dogger is in the hospital. We got off to a bit of a rough start. They did the line placement without problems or incident. (It only took about 30 minutes, if that!) But we got to hang out in Post-Op for 7 hours while we waited for his bed to become available. The nurses were wonderful and took great care of us. They even wheeled in a TV for us and we hooked up the Playstation and were playing video games and watching movies! (Of course!)

By 8:30 they had a bed for him and we made our way to the floor. Unfortunately, it was not "his" room, it was just a room for the night. (They did get him moved yesterday to his permanent room.) And then they had to start his chemo at night to get things going. Poor boy was up all night. After the Cytoxan, they have to give him lots of fluids (orally & through IV) and then lasix to flush out his kidneys. (If this stuff stays in his kidneys, it can cause kidney damage. We're not going there.)

So for the last 2 days, this has been the cycle. But today they are supposed to get him back on track (i.e. chemo during daylight hours so he can rest at night). I talked to him last night and he's doing well, but the chemo triggers depression. That coupled with being away from home, I can't be there often enough and everything at once, it's hitting him very hard right now. But he's talked to the doctor and they've assured him this is completely normal and happens to everyone. They're also going to give him help with it. It'll take a little bit to kick in, but over the next couple of weeks, it'll be very helpful.

Tonight I get to see my boy! I'll be going home first to take care of the Boo and get some things together for him. Then I'm dropping off the Jeep at the hotel for Christian and his fiancee, Christina, to use while they're here. Mom & Frank are meeting me at the hotel, will meet Christian and then we'll go to the hospital to visit with Dogger. I told him as soon as I see him to scoot over on the bed, because I'm going to snuggle up next to him. (Thank you God for putting the line on his right side...I didn't lose my spot!)

This weekend I'll be going up every day. I'm not allowed to spend the night on the floor. The only time they let you is if things are very serious. Under those conditions, I can wait to stay with him. Next week is when everything happens. Christian begins his shots on Sunday and will get them twice a day. Wednesday & Thursday are the collection and transfer days. After Wednesday, Dogger will not be allowed to step foot outside of his room. So please continue to keep him in your prayers and that this all goes as smoothly as possible.

More to come...have a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home